About Bsc (hons) In Sustainable Agriculture/agri-food Production in Dundalk Institute of Technology
The aim of this four-year Honours Degree course is to produce graduates with knowledge, skills and competencies to respond effectively to current and future developments in Agriculture and the Agri-Food Industry.
This is a collaborative programme delivered jointly with Teagasc at Ballyhaise Agricultural College. See more information in the course description below.
The course will provide graduates with a strong foundation in science, business agriculture and food and will specifically develop skills and knowledge in the areas of animal and crop production, animal husbandry and biosecurity, health and safety, agricultural mechanisation, financial and business management, entrepreneurship and innovation, environmental protection and the production and processing of safe, quality-assured food.
Graduates will have knowledge and appreciation of national and international policy and legislation and will have excellent communication skills, research competence and the ability to respond to the challenges of larger scale, market-led production, alternative rural enterprise and environmental sustainability.
This is a collaborative programme delivered jointly with Teagasc at Ballyhaise Agricultural College, Cavan and leads to a DkIT award at Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Stage 1 and Stage 2 students are based in Ballyhaise Agricultural College, Cavan Monday to Wednesday and in DkIT on a Thursday and Friday. A bus is organised by DkIT from Ballyhaise Agricultural College to DkIT and back each Thursday and Friday.
- Stage 3 students are based in Ballyhaise Agricultural College for 2 days and 3 days in DkIT.
- Stage 4 students are based in Ballyhaise Agricultural College for 1 day and 4 days in DkIT.
Graduates of this course will have career opportunities in the following areas:
- Commercial farmer or Farm Manager
- Agricultural Advisor with consultancy or state body, e.g. Teagasc
- Technical Sales Role
- Analytical or Research Scientist in the Waste Management Sector
- Quality Manager or Production Supervisor in the Food Industry
- Rural Entrepreneur
Graduates can progress to the M.Sc. in Biotechnology in DkIT or to postgraduate research positions in DkIT or other Institutions.
Minimum of 60% average in your Standard 12.
We may also check your standard 10 results in English and Maths
If English is not your first language, you will be required to provide an IELTS certificate, or equivalent.
Our undergraduate IELTS requirements are:
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.