About Beng (hons) In Engineering (common Entry) in Dundalk Institute of Technology
This four-year honours degree in Engineering trains students for entry into Engineering practice and industry. Students entering the programme study a range of topics in the common entry first year before selecting their preferred option of Civil, Mechanical or Electronic / Electrical Engineering. Engineers design , develop and ensure the smooth operation of the systems, processes and infrastructure which power, enable and house modern life.
Students who choose this Honours Degree Engineering programme will experience a common first year which will ensure a broad learning experience and offer the possibility to make an informed decision at the end of Year 1. The first year is designed to ensure that you are well informed and well prepared to enter one of the possible 3 options of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Systems or Civil Engineering.
In year 1 topics such as computing, mathematics, mechanics and materials will be covered as well as a number of introductory modules such as Introduction to Engineering.
Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering covers all industry sectors including power generation such as wind turbines or major power plants, aerospace, heating, transport, engine manufacture, pharmaceuticals, food processing plants, design and research.
Honours Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Electronic and electrical engineers are employed in many industries, with the main areas being in electronics, IT, manufacturing, power, transport, construction and building services. Opportunities are also found in telecommunications, research and development, and petrochemicals. This new course aims to produce well-rounded engineers with a high level of analytical and engineering design skills.
Honours Degree in Civil Engineering
- Civil engineering is about protecting, creating and improving our everyday environment. It involves the planning, design and construction of facilities that we require for living, for industry and for transport. Roads, bridges, harbours, buildings, wastewater treatment systems, dams and sustainable energy schemes such as wind farms or hydroelectric stations.
Demand for our graduates in a wide range of engineering industries has been strong with many having job offers from both local and national companies shortly after sitting their final exams including:
- Combilift Ltd
- Hiab MOFFETT truck-mounted forklifts
- OpenHydro Suretank Ltd.
- Glen Dimplex; Kingspan Group
Follow On Programmes:
- MSc in Renewable Energy Systems
Post Graduate Study and Research in DkIT or other Instiitutions. There are opportunities for students to follow a research career with the Schoolof Engineering research centre to Masters or PhD level.
Minimum of 60% average in your Standard 12.
We may also check your standard 10 results in English and Maths
If English is not your first language, you will be required to provide an IELTS certificate, or equivalent.
Our undergraduate IELTS requirements are:
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent when you start the course is essential.